Popcultured Thinking Christianly About Style, Media and Entertainment
Write a review
Ask a question
There's no avoiding popular culture—we've been enculturated into it. What does it mean to be faithful Christians in a pop culture world? How do we think Christianly about celebrity and leisure? Some Christians try to abstain from "worldly" pursuits, while others consume culture indiscriminately, assuming it has little effect on them. But if Christ is Lord of all of life, then there ought to be Christian ways to engage with and appreciate popular culture.
Steve Turner has spent his career chronicling and interviewing people from the worlds of music, film, television, fashion, art and literature. Now he provides an insider's guide to a wide range of entertainment pursuits, with biblical frameworks for understanding pop culture genres and artifacts. Turner explores
- how movies use redemptive narratives and parables
- ways journalistic headlines convey worldview assumptions
- differences between famous people in the past and celebrities today
- what ideas are communicated through clothing and fashion design
- how technology changes our sense of what is real
- and much more
God entrusts culture to us and gives us the ability to critique it, enjoy it and create it. This book will help you become a better cultural critic, consumer and creator.